Skip to main content
What is ILL?
If the CIA Library does not have the book or article you need, what do you do?
You can use our Interlibrary Loan Service!
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a free service for all currently enrolled students, faculty and staff of The Culinary Institute of America.
- ILL provides access to thousands of other library collections that contain books, journal articles, and other kinds of materials. If there is any book or article that the CIA Library does not own, you can request that we get it for you.
- Use Omnivore OneSearch to Find and Request Books & Articles. If the CIA Library does not have it, click the button (screenshot)
- We will then contact other libraries who own the requested material and provide you with the book or a digital copy (pdf) of the article.
Making a Request
- Confirm whether the CIA Library has the item you need:
- Check Omnivore OneSearch
- If the Library owns the book but it is checked out, you may request a hold on the item and you will receive it within two weeks.
- Use Omnivore to Request Books and Articles: when searching within Omnivore and your search result indicates that the CIA Library does not own the item, click the button
Request Item through Interlibrary Loan and fill out the form.
- If you cannot find it in Omnivore, you may also request items using the Interlibrary Loan forms for books or articles (see tabs above.)
- While we attempt to honor the "need by" date indicated on the request form, we cannot guarantee the materials will arrive by that date.
- Turn-around time may depend on availability of the item, location/distance of the lending library, and lender conditions or restrictions.
- Interlibrary loans are typically requested from another library within 24 hours.
- Allow one to two weeks for an item to arrive. Books are shipped via regular mail. Articles usually arrive sooner.
- You will receive an email when your items are available:
- Books may be picked up at the Hilton Library Help Desk.
- If books are not picked up, they will be returned to the lending library.
- Articles are received electronically, in most cases. You will be notified via email with your article attached as a PDF.
- Please comply with all instructions from the lending library, such as copyright restrictions for articles and due dates for books.
- Return books to the Hilton Library Help Desk by the DUE DATE indicated.
ILL Policies (the fine print)
The Hilton Library is bound by any restrictions placed on loans by the lending library. These may include restricting use of the material to within the library building, obtaining the signiture of the borrower, and/or prohibiting photocopying. Interlibrary loans are governed by the Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States of the American Library Association.
The requesting library is responsible for complying with the provisions of Section 108(g)(2) Copyright Law and the Guidelines for the Proviso of Subsection 108(g)(2) prepared by the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works (the CONTU Guidelines).
The Culinary Institute of America | Conrad N. Hilton Library | 1946 Campus Drive | Hyde Park, NY 12538-1430
Telephone: 845-451-1747 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org |