Skip to main content
Advanced Search Methods in Omnivore OneSearch
~ Using the Advanced Search Screen Options
~ How to Select & Search Databases
~ How to Modify Search Results using Filters
~ Video Tutorials
~ Go to the Omnivore Advanced Search
Advanced Search Options
The Advanced Search Screen
- Use the search boxes and drop down menus:
- Add Row to use more boxes and mix & match search fields
- Use Boolean Operators AND, OR, NOT to combine terms
- search for an Author or Title
- Other search options include:
- Journal Source name
- search tip Phrase searches exact words together as a phrase
- Limit your search
- Peer-reviewed (scholarly, academic, refereed journals)
- Format includes: book, article, DVD and much more
- Year of publication or range of dates (e.g. 2005-2010)
- Location - limit to CIA Library or expand to Libraries Worldwide
More Database Search Help
Omnivore automatically searches all available CIA Library Databases by default.
Choose one or more Databases: You can limit the search to certain individual databases, a predefined group of databases, or select from the list to search specific databases together. Search tip not all databases are available to select; more databases are being searched by Omnivore than appear on the list.
On the Advanced Search Screen you can select databases:
- Search tip After any changes, click "Save Changes" before you search
- To add or remove a database from the list, click on the checkbox
- To add or remove an entire group, click "Select All in Group"
- To clear selections and return to the default (Omnivore QuickSearch) click Reset
- Search tip To remove databases from the list in order to select a database or group, go to the Omnivore QuickSearch and click "Select All in Group" this erases all checkmarks.
- Groups include:
- Quick Search - broad-coverage, interdisciplinary, general and academic databases
- News & Newspapers
- Humanities & Social Sciences
Search tip you may still want to select and search an individual subject database separately from Omnivore. View all databases by subject.
Use Filters to Modify Search Results
- Libraries Worldwide - expand your search to include items from other libraries beyond the CIA; discover books and articles you can request via Interlibrary Loan
- Full Text - limit results to articles and ebooks with full text attached
- Peer Reviewed - limit results to scholarly articles from academic journals that use peer review, learn more about scholarly journals
- Format - show results by type of item: book, article, DVD, etc.
- Databases - Select to view results from one database
- Year - select the publication date range for the results
- Topics - general subject categories based on academic discipline; view the item record description to see specific subject terms
The Culinary Institute of America | Conrad N. Hilton Library | 1946 Campus Drive | Hyde Park, NY 12538-1430
Telephone: 845-451-1747 | Email: email@example.com