Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Checking Out Books
The Hilton Library has Open Stacks which means you can browse the shelves to select books.
Bring books to the Library Help Desk to check them out
Your CIA ID card is your library card
You can check books out for 1 month and renew once for another month
“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten;
even so, they have made me.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
> Learn more about finding books
Finding a Book on the Library Shelves
In the Library Catalog, look for:
- Call Number - the "address" of the book on the shelf, e.g. TX 820 .C9676 2011
- Circulation Status - Available, Checked Out, etc.
There are three locations for books:
- Circulating books you can borrow; located on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors of the Library
- Reserves books set aside by your instructors to be used in the Library; Ask at the Library Help Desk
- Reference encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, etc. to be used in the Library; located on the main floor (3rd floor)
Layout of the Hilton Library Book Stacks
The Library's book stacks are organized by the Library of Congress Classification. The book collection begins on the 4th floor of the library and continues down through the following two floors.
||A - HE
||History (incl. food history & customs), psychology, economics.
||HF - TT
||Wines, brewing, food processing, agriculture, science, business, social sciences, arts, literature.
||TX - Z
||Culinary arts, cookbooks, baking and pastry, mixology.
The Culinary Institute of America | Conrad N. Hilton Library | 1946 Campus Drive | Hyde Park, NY 12538-1430
Telephone: 845-451-1747 | Email: email@example.com